Alterium Shift [Early Access]

Alterium Shift




An Indie JRPG to be sure, but an often overlooked one.

You're in for a GRAND time (screenshots are from an older version).

This is Alterium Shift, a 2.5D JRPG reminiscent of classic JRPGs. As of the writing of this article, the game is still in Early Access, so yes, there are still some kinks to be worked out, especially in regards to optimization on the Steam Deck. 

This isn't a review per se as the game isn't fully released yet, so I do plan to revisit the game once the game is out of Early Access.

I chose Pyra, the main warrior of the group. Like her name suggests, she's fiery.


The game has a sort of HD-2D style, though not to the extent of something like Octopath Traveler. There isn't a copious amount of modern lighting unlike that game. I will say I do like the sprite work; it's very reminiscent of 16-bit classics like Chrono Trigger, but slightly more modern.

Currently, in the game, you can select one of three different characters, each with their own unique storyline.
Battles are turn based.

The gameplay is very much like a classic RPG. Currently, the game doesn't do too much to differentiate itself from other games of its ilk. That's not necessarily a bad thing per se, but sometimes I find myself wondering why I'm not just playing Octopath Traveler 2 instead.

I like the art-style, though sometimes the perspective does mess with be a bit given it's not as isometric as you'd expect.

That said, the game is in Early Access, so it's understandable why the game is in kind of a rough state. The game also needs some quality-of-life features like a quest tracker. The developers do have a strong foundation, and I hope that they can build upon it to make a really good indie JRPG. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for this project.

And yes, there's a demo you can try out.

Comments